Thursday, December 20, 2012

Traditions Carry On

About 12 years ago I decided to fill in the area near the street in front of
my house with pretty colored rocks, we carefully outlined it with a stackable
concrete border and filled it in with beautiful rocks, an entire truck load which
took me forever to level out.  I placed matting underneath and a plastic mesh
in the event I wanted to turn that 35 feet back into a front garden, but that's
not the entire story.  One of my best friends that lives down the street brought
her grandson who was 2 at the time to visit, and he and I had a great time picking
out pretty stones.  As it happened that day I was working on a fairy house and
he conceived the idea that the fairy had put the rocks there.  Well not to be
a spoil sport, and because I thought the idea was a grandone, I went along with
it, and periodically the "fairy" would place new treasures to be found in the
rocks.  As my friend kept him alot, he made frequent trips at least couple times
a week to visit "the rocks" and "the fairy".  The fairy was leaving different
colored "gems" (glass rocks), and other bits and baubles in the rocks and he

would come and spend at least an hour sifting through the rocks and playing
havoc in my zen garden (sigh)  that sand wasn't really for digging up, but we
did have alot of fun lol (notice the we ahem)..... well he is now 12 years old,
and on occasion I still see him out picking through the rocks, although he
only does it when he thinks no one is watching. I had made the comment to
my husband that I really missed him being smaller and watching the excitement
of each new find he made, and about a week ago this young lady was walking
by with her daughter and she is 2 - and such a vibrant 2 year old but so well
mannered and such a girly girl.  Just a beautiful child and she asked if she
could have a rock.........  Well I guess you can guess the rest of this story,
everyday they walk and everyday the fairy manages to leave a few choice
things and I couldn't be happier.   It's amazing how "rocks" can make faces
light up, but I am not truly surprised at that, I've been lugging home rocks
my entire life and I'm always looking for the next beautiful one to add to my
collection.  So if you want some real enjoyment - you don't need 35 feet of rock,
just take a small flower pot or the basin for one, and fill with some pretty rocks,
add some pretty glass rocks and a few beads and some bits and baubles and
watch how it will grow into something beautiful. 

LOL, just beware, our 35 feet of rock that was at least 8" deep is about half
that deep now, our rocks have been transported near and far by little rock
lovers and each time I look out and see little pockets being filled up I just
smile, and know ,that rocks for some, are things of beauty. 


No comments:

Post a Comment